About Kwong Tong Cemetery
Kwong Tong Cemetery is the largest and oldest cemetery located in Bukit Petaling, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It covers an approximate area of 333 acres of land and is the final resting place of many notable pioneers in Malaysia. In 2007, the 112-year-old cemetery was named a Heritage Park. It was founded in 1895 and is run by The Association of Kwong Tong Cemetery Management Kuala Lumpur.
A second Kwong Tong Cemetery is located in Sungai Besi, in the south of the Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, close the border with Selangor State. It is not as big as the main cemetery and not as interesting but occupies a site with rolling hills overlooked by Bukit Besi Alam Damai with its communication masts on the summit.
Besides individual graves, the Kwong Tong Cemetery also has a memorial. The Nanyang Volunteers Memorial, which was erected in 1947, honors the contributions of some 3,200 volunteers from Nanyang, modern-day South East Asia. These men and women served as drivers and mechanics for the Chinese during the Second Sino-Japanese War, helping the transportation of war materials into China. These men and women, known collectively as the Nanyang Volunteers, served from February to September 1939.